July 31st, 2017 by dbakevlar

This is the Part III in a four part series on how to:

  1.  Enable VNC Viewer access on Amazon EC2 hosts.
  2.  Install DB12c and upgrade a Dsource for Delphix from 11g to 12c, (12.1)
  3.  Update the Delphix Configuration to point to the newly upgraded 12c database and the new Oracle 12c home.
  4.  Install DB12c and upgrade target VDBs for Delphix residing on AWS to 12.1 from the newly upgraded source.

In Part II, we finished upgrading the Dsource database, but now we need to get it configured on the Delphix side.

Log into the Delphix Admin console to make the changes required to recognize the Dsource is now DB12c and has a new Oracle home.

Log into the Delphix console as the Delphix_Admin user and go to the Manage –> Environments.

Click on the Refresh button and let the system recognize the new Oracle Home for DB12c:

Once complete, you should see the 12.1 installation we performed on the Linux Source now listed in the Environments list.

Click on Manage –> Datasets and find the Dsource 11g database and click on it.

Click on the Configuration tab and click on the Upgrade icon, (a small up arrow in the upper right.)

Update to the new Oracle Home that will now be listed in the dropdown and scroll down to save.

Now click on the camera icon to take a snap sync to ensure everything is functioning properly.  This should only take a minute to complete.

The DSource is now updated in the Delphix Admin console and we can turn our attentions to the Linux target and our VDBs that source from this host.  In Part IV we’ll dig into the other half of the source/target configuration and how I upgraded Delphix environments with a few surprises!

 

Posted in AWS, Delphix, Oracle Tagged with: , , ,

April 21st, 2016 by dbakevlar

I was surprised on April 20th when I awoke to find a 1.3G OS update on my Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge+.  I’d never experienced any issues with an update before, so I quickly connected my phone to the WiFi and let it download then upgrade my phone, anxiously awaiting what new Android features awaited me.

no_michael_bluth

It Broke

I proceeded through my day, but was concerned as battery usage was higher than usual and I suffered email failures from Gmail and a few tweets didn’t go through.  I consider myself quite familiar with mobile phone trouble shooting and promptly performed the standard steps to address issues, but upon the next morning, I was faced with the same issues.

I researched and found that I wasn’t the only one, as numerous Note, Galaxy and even new Galaxy 7 users were reporting similar issues with texts, emails and network connectivity.

I happened to be running work errands and stopped at my neighborhood T-Mobile store to see if they’d heard anything.  The tech was surprised by what I’d tried:

  • Cleared the app cache for affected applications.
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled.
  • Cycled between the steps.

Then he was even more impressed with my phone-  I have my Samsung set up at the most optimal settings.

  • Shut off all unnecessary notifications at the application level.
  • Shut off Wifi scanning.
  • Keep Location and Wifi off unless I’m somewhere that I need to use it.
  • Keep my screen set to auto-dim to conserve battery.
  • All advanced features for the phone are set to optimum performance, balanced with conservative usage.

Yaaaass

I was having an issue clearing the cache partition on the phone and was looking to how it should be done with the 6.01 release.  There had been a change in the button combination, (volume down, home button, power button combo brings to a screen instead of clears the partition) and he was able to help me out with this, clearing the partition.

There was a second fix that was added to the clearing of the partition:

The actual 6.01 upgrade system update HADN’T finished!  Upon clearing the cache partition, the update completed and many of the issues I was experiencing stopped.

Then the second part of the problem showed itself.  To conserve battery, on many Samsung 6 and 6 Edge devices, it was recommended to run in “Power Saving Mode“.  In 6.01, there is a change to the features provided as part of this mode.

It now LIMITS the amount of data allowed to be SENT or RECEIVED.

Reason tweets with pictures and emails with attachments failing SOLVED.  Take the phone out of “Power Saving Mode” and these emails and tweets stuck in “limbo” should immediately be sent!

So, to summarize-  If you are having issues with emails, network connectivity and social media, do two things:

  1.  Using the button combination for your device and clear the cache partition.  You most likely will also see a secondary system update that will complete afterwards.  This means your phone didn’t complete it’s update to to 6.01 to begin with.
  2. If you use “Power Saving Mode”.  Shut it off, try to resend a tweet or email with an attachment.  If it works, you now know that you hit the size limitations.  You can tweak this and do a lot of it manually by the following:
  • Go to settings
  • Click on Battery
  • Click on Ultra Power Saving Mode, App Power Saving and Go to Details
  • Choose apps that are using power and ask the app to Save Power and for those that need to send attachments and such, like email, twitter, Facebook, leave them to Automatic only.

I’m happy I figured this out, as the Samsung Galaxy Edge Plus has been my favorite phone ever, so having it at top functionality after the upgrade was important!  Hope these tips to fix issues after the upgrade to 6.01 helps you, too!

 

Posted in DBA Rants Tagged with: , , , ,

  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter